Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Tuesday's Musical Notes - "Right Down The Line" (Gerry Rafferty)

http://www.imagesbuddy.com/images/101/2013/08/happy-tuesday-red-glitter.gifhttp://cdn.silhouetteamerica.com/3/i/shapes/lg/7/1/d12617.gif

Welcome to Tuesday!!!  Today's Musical Notes will be a bit different.  Today is a celebration.  Sorry, no Kool and the Gang, but a celebration none the less.  If you've read The Notes before, you know of my love for American Top 40, specifically the Casey Kasem years.  I typically pattern our end of the year Notes countdown after his annual countdown of the top hits from the previous year.  Be looking for that at the end of December.  For todays Notes, the format will be similar to a segment of the countdown that was affectionately known as the "request and dedication"... and now on with the countdown.

At number 87 in our end of the year countdown for 1978 is Joe Walsh, explaining how...

Apparently, "Life's Been Good" to the writer of a letter that we feature as our next request and dedication.  He writes:  "Casey, I'd like to tell you a success story that has nothing to do with money or any other kind of asset.  Occasionally, you get the opportunity to enlarge your circle of friends through another person.  Such was the case one weekend, when I got the chance to meet a group of folks that were friends of my college roommate.  As a single college male, I was impressed that my friend had such a network of beautiful young ladies as a part of his social group from high school.  The prettiest one was also the one who said the least and the one in whom I interacted less.  But it was an introduction.  Our paths crossed a couple of times that year as she would be attending the University of Arkansas, where I was currently enrolled,  in the fall of the next year.   I was a member of the Marching Razorback Band as were many of her friends from high school and we began spending more and more time together in our group.  We started dating in October of that year.  The next August we were getting married.  11 months after she said "I will" to going out with me on a steady basis, she said "I do" to spending the rest of her life with me.  30 years, 3 beautiful daughters, 1 son (by marriage, becoming my son), and the miracle of twin grandsons later, she's still the prettiest one in the room.  She's taught me incredible things about life, love, and the proper use of the word "asinine".  Don't get me wrong, the 30 years have had their share of "interesting discussions" and "animated conversations", but each of those moments aid in  cementing what will continue to be a lifetime together.  Yesterday, we turned 30.  So, Casey, would you please play Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down The Line" for my Tammy, the quiet and reserved, blond haired, blue eyed beauty that said "I Do" 30 years ago yesterday.  Thanks!!!"

There ya have it.  From a husband to his wife of 30 years, going as high as #12, , and just missing the year end countdown, here's, Gerry Rafferty with this week's request and dedication...
 
Gerry Rafferty is much more known by voice than name.  He was the lead on the 1973 hit "Stuck In The Middle With You",  as a part of the group Stealers Wheel.  He also put out 9 solo albums and is featured on 8 compilations of his hits.   1978's City To City,  featuring "Baker Street" and today's feature song, went to #1 on the album chart based on the popularity of these two singles ("Baker Street" peaking at #2, and #26 on the year end countdown, "Right Down The Line" peaked at #12). 

Longevity in any task takes patience, tenacity, and the willingness to be successful.  Relationships are a task, just one of a different nature, whereby the longevity usually depends on 2 people. The longer the relationship thrives and survives, the more likely that much gets accomplished.  In 30 years, for example, you would expect success on a myriad of levels.  

In our day and age, success, is a word that is bandied about as a connotation for wealth, the accumulation of assets, or power.  However, the Bible deems success, as the completing our race to win the ultimate prize.  An eternity in heaven with God, the Father, Jesus, the Son, and Holy Spirit.  All other "successes" pale in comparison to this.  The apostle Paul wrote to the Hebrew church about this very topic. 

You see, each of us has a specific "race" to run.  We have folks that we can see, and a few that we can't see (we each have our own "cloud of witnesses"), that are here to encourage us.  The Bible also calls portions of our race good works.   

Our success is measured in how we complete these good works...as a part of completing our overall race.  

Relationships are part of those good works.  The longer we are around folks, the more we get to know them, warts and all (as Abraham Lincoln might say),   it can sometimes become more challenging to run our race with them.  When we know one another's frailties and shortcomings, it is easy to become critical and insensitive.  But this is not the relationship image that Jesus modeled when He was on earth. 

His disciples didn't get who He was.  They traveled with Him 24/7 for 3 years and yet they still did not understand.  Jesus, as God, knew everything about them, and yet He still worked to build His relationship with them by teaching, training, and being patient with them.  Sure, He got frustrated, but He never gave up on them.  He ALWAYS forgave their mistakes and their lack of faith.  That is a model that I want in all of my relationships.  It is one I attempt to be worthy of as well.  

After 30 years, she still says "I do" to working on our relationship.  After 30 years, she continues to forgive my mistakes.  As a daughter of God, she HAS to.  As my beautiful wife, I'm glad she does,  and in my own way,



I just wanna say this is my way
Of tellin' you everything
I could never say before
Yeah this is my way of tellin' you
That every day I'm lovin' you so much more...

Happy Anniversary Tammy!!!

 
 
'Til Tuesday,

Serving HIM by serving you,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment