Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tuesday's Musical Notes - "Like A Rock" (Bob Seger)


http://www.poker.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/tuesday.jpghttp://thetyee.cachefly.net/Mediacheck/2011/06/13/music-cloud.jpg



Welcome to Tuesday!  It's your weekly dose of tunes, trivia, and the Trinity!  Thanks for being here!
It's the first of the month and that means a re-imagining of sorts from a Musical Note that only saw the emailosphere.  Welcome to the blogosphere, Tuesday's Musical Notes..."Like A Rock"!!!  


In previous Tuesday's Musical Notes, I told you about my love for Bob Seger's music.  He is absolutely in my top 5 artists to which I like to listen and collect.  He turned 71 this last May and continues to fill arenas with his hit fueled concerts.  One of the reasons Bob Seger remains popular is that stylistically and lyrically he's "Still The Same" since his original song "The Lonely One" was recorded as an acetate demo with his band The Decibels in 1961.  His 2014 release Ride Out is exactly what Bob Seger fans expect from this veteran rocker.  Seger has stated that Ride Out could possibly be his last album.  After 55 years of being the image of Detroit Rock who could blame him for wanting a slower pace. 


When you saw the title of this weeks "Notes" perhaps you thought of a Chevrolet pickup.  That's because GM used Bob Seger's song "Like a Rock" for over 10 years.  It became one of the most successful marketing campaigns in history.  The song also went to #1 on the Billboard charts in 1986.  It is a song that shows a more mature, reflective side of Bob Seger and expounds on the virtue of standing strong with what you believe. 




"Like A Rock" - title track from the 1986 album by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
 


Awww, the good 'ol days of rock-n-roll video.  Did you know that MTV celebrated it's 35th year as a network on August 1st?  See the launch of an icon here:  

MTV rebroadcasts launch as it transitions VH1 Classic to MTV Classic 


 
MTV really didn't make a big deal about their 35th anniversary other than to transition VH1 Classic to MTV Classic.  To be  honest I don't blame them.  They are the perfect example of a company that had a really unique concept that was successful and then abandoned their "first love" so to speak.  While I totally understand the attempt to remain relevant to the culture, today MTV is a collection of reality tv shows and has less and less to do with music each passing year.  They are now transitioning the one property that still consistently showed music videos to the 90s concepts of music TV shows.  If I may insert an editorial comment...THIS STINKS!!!  Thank you, we now return to our regularly scheduled blog.  While still having some modicum of success, MTV did not remain rock solid with their core product line and have seen the decline in market share that many times comes from such straying.   


To be completely honest, I am afraid that I do the same thing with my walk with Christ.  I try to manipulate or stray from the plan for any number of reasons and wind up not having the success that He has planned for me.  I need to be more..... like a rock. 


Deuteronomy 32:4

He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.



2 Samuel 22:2-4


2 He said:
   “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
 3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, 
   my shield and the horn of my salvation.

He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—

   from violent people you save me.
 4 “I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
   and have been saved from my enemies. 



For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the
Rock except our God?

Psalm 31:2-4

2 Turn your ear to me
   come  , quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
   a strong fortress to save me.
3 Since you are my
rock and my fortress,
   for the sake of your name lead and guide me. 4 Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
   for you are my refuge.   

            

Isaiah 26:3-5


3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
4 Trust in the LORD forever,

   for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.





  My entire life has been surrounded by music.  Mom and Dad always had a radio playing.  I can remember coming home from friends homes late at night and having the radio on WSM out of Nashville.  We sang at church as a family.  I was involved in band and choir at Bald Knob High (Go Bulldogs!!) and in band and choir at THE University of Arkansas (Go Hogs!!!)  Music remained a part of my life as I worked in retail.  I always seemed to be in charge of the parts of the stores that sold music.  I firmly believe that God created music for man to enjoy and use as a tool of worship. Across the globe, millions utilize this precious gift to bring honor to God as they enhance their worship with music

Part of God's blessing to man is that He creates each of us different.  We all have our areas that we are passionate about.  Mine happens to be music.  It may or may not be yours, but if you are a believer, then you have specific gifts and talents that you should hone and become very strong in so that you may complete the good works that God has already planned to be done.  Our diversity of gifts is what completes us as a the body of Christ.



Romans 12:4-8 (NIV)
For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


1 Corinthians 12:12-31 NIV/The Message parallel



You may have noticed a recurring theme in the Bible passages at the middle of today's blog.  Each speaks of our relationship with God as one in which we can depend.    He never changes.  He is the One we can stand upon or lean upon and know with confidence we will not falter as long as we are relying on Him.  He is something solid.....like a rock.


The new school year begins for many within the next couple of weeks.  Will you join me in praying that our students will be firm in their convictions for Christ?  Will you partner with me in praying for our administrators, school employees,  and teachers who claim Christ as Savior?  Will you stand beside me as we pray that Christ will be lifted up in the lives of our friends and relatives who will be attempting to be lighthouses in their respective educational environments?  



Help me pray for them to stand strong as they can be...like a rock.


'Til Tuesday,

Serving Him by serving you,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment