Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Tuesday's Musical Notes - "Drift Away" (Dobie Gray)

Oh! Hi there!  Have you seen my dog Blue?  Sorry...my grandson's influence.  We love the Steve Burns episodes of Blue's Clues and have rediscovered them since becoming grandparents.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

Well, that was certainly random.  But we like random a lot around these parts.  Welcome to Tuesday's Musical Notes, the blog that takes your favorite songs and turns them inside out, upside down, and spins you right ‘round baby, right ‘round, like a record baby, right ‘round, ‘round ‘round!  New to The Notes? Do we have a show for you!!!   Check out the archives where we have over 300 of our favorite songs that get The Notes treatment!!!  

We double check how often those blogs get read at the end of the year just to see if they make their way into our end of the year countdown.  I really think I listened to too much American Top 40 with Casey Kasem in the 80's.  I love countdowns!!!  Anyway, check out the archives or search by your favorite song or artist at the top right of the blog page.  And now on with our show!!!  

Popular music is by far one of the most fickle industries in our world.  One minute your song is in the top ten, the next week you are replaced by the next flavor of the month.  However, there are some songs that stand the test of time.  Perhaps some of your favorites just came to mind.  For me, anything by Chicago, Genesis, Yes, and Lynyrd Skynyrd are songs just like that. But the websitethetoptens.com, as usual, has a great list of songs just like we are talking about.  


While this listing changes daily based on folks votes, perhaps you noticed a couple that had been featured on Tuesday's Musical Notes?  Here are the links for the ones I found today in case you wish to review:







While that list certainly includes songs that will stick with us in perpetuity,  most songs soon find themselves falling down the charts if they chart, they just don’t give ya the beat boys and free your soul, they just drift away.  W



Everyone that I know needs some of those times where you find that one thing that helps you relax.  The times in which we live are stressful and everyone needs an outlet for the relief of that stress.  Music tends to be that for many people.

Released amidst the tumult that our nation faced in the early 70's from the Vietnam War and its subsequent protests, "Drift Away" was a breath of fresh air from Dobie Gray.  The #5 single was a cover of the song originally recorded in 1972 by John Henry Kurtz (nope, I don't know who he is either!).  It was written by Mentor Williams the brother to award-winning songwriter Paul Williams (Tuesday's Musical Notes - "We've Only Just Begun"

"Drift Away" speaks specifically to utilizing music as a stress reliever during times of trial.  The songwriter is thanking those who participate in the creative process of the music industry for recording melodies that move him and for the joy he receives from listening and believing in the song.  

I think we all have that song.  It doesn't matter the tempo, the melody, or even the genre.  It is a song in which we can not only relate but speaks to us in a way that nothing else can.   Perhaps it isn't just one song that moves you in this way.  I have found such songs in every genre, most of which I have been blessed to feature here at The Notes.  Here's an example: 



Tuesday's Musical Notes - "Let My Love Open the Door"   (Most often read Musical Note)

These songs and others have been a source of comfort, relaxation, and sometimes escape.  What we must realize is that the music that brings those feelings of relief to us are only a tool from the One who provides the ultimate Comforter.  

"Give me the beat boys and free my soul..."


In this passage, Jesus tells His disciples about how they will be able to survive and thrive after He has gone back to heaven.  He starts the chapter by giving them confidence by reaffirming who He is.  He then later assures them that they will not be alone in the process of spreading the Gospel.  They will be imbued by Holy Spirit.  The will receive power to do the things they have been called upon to do.  For all of the disciples except John, this would mean being martyred for following their calling to go and make more disciples.  



Jesus assures the disciple that if they only had faith, they would find themselves being able to do the miraculous.

I don't know about you, but that is a type of power I would like to have at my disposal.  The power that Holy Spirit provides is exactly what Paul was referring to in Philippians 4.  Paul's letter to the Philippian church, chapter 4, verses 10-14 NIV/The Message/ESV  Remember, Paul is saying that he has been able to overcome the laundry list that he just elaborated upon by the power of Holy Spirit. 


Have you ever felt like this?

"Beginning to think that I'm wasting time and I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind..."

Jesus says that you can drift away into Him.  He can be the One in which you can count on to get you through.  From The Message paraphrase of Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus says, “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (emphasis mine)

So you see friend, Jesus has provided.  He has provided The Comforter and the ability to live freely and lightly.  If we seem to be bogged down in life, it isn't the fault of Jesus'.  It may very well be a situation of our own doing.  Even in those times, Jesus is there waiting with open arms to help us drift away...

"Thanks for the joy that you've given me, I want you to know I believe in the song
And rhythm and rhyme and harmony, You helped me along, You're making me strong..

"Give me the beat boys and free my soul...."

'Til Tuesday,


Serving HIM by serving You,
randy

No comments:

Post a Comment